Martin C. Rothfelder
Martin C. Rothfelder is a leader in the practice of law in the electric, gas, energy conservation, telecommunications, cable television, water, sewer and solid waste industries. His career spans over 20 years in private practice, 7 years at state public utility commissions, and 5 years at a major utility. His engagements include litigation, administrative proceedings, transactions, and legislative advocacy. He excels in resolving complex cases involving multiple parties to the benefit of his clients.
Mr. Rothfelder has handled matters before sixteen state public utility commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and in a variety of trial and appellate courts. He has been a registered lobbyist in six states.
His work includes:
- over 100 utility base rate cases, and countless rate clause and industry restructuring matters representing utilities, customers, and intervenors,
- appellate practice including reversing two state utility commission orders, and successfully defending others,
- avoiding assessments on competitive telecom carriers in telecom restructuring proceedings,
- obtaining area code relief in Eastern Pennsylvania when the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission denied such relief,
- acting as lead counsel for wireless carriers in obtaining restructuring area codes in New York City, including elimination of the former wireless only area code in NYC and obtaining access for wireless carriers to the all NYC area codes,
- obtaining a “shopping credit” to assist energy marketers in New Jersey electric industry restructuring proceedings,
- legislative efforts on behalf of wireless service providers that include successful pursuits of legislative enactments and gubernatorial vetoes, and
- leadership roles in securing approval and then obtaining regular rate adjustments for the Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) $1.2 billion “Energy Strong” program, and its $905 million “Gas System Modernization Program.”
Mr. Rothfelder served as President of the Public Utility Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association in 2009-2010, and received the highest possible rating in the Martindale-Hubbell attorney peer-rating system. Mr. Rothfelder also served as Associate General Counsel to PSE&G, General Counsel to the New Hampshire Public Utilities Commission, and Assistant General Counsel to the Missouri Public Service Commission.
Mr. Rothfelder received his Juris Doctorate at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, where he was a Senior Editor on the Urban Law Annual. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree with honors in economics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he received the Senior Thesis Award. He is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Missouri.
- April 2017 – Assessment and Monitoring of Utility Infrastructure Programs at NJ State Bar Association Public Utility Law Section 2017 Annual Conference.
- April 2016 – Infrastructure Resiliency & Emergency Preparedness at NJ State Bar Association Public Utility Law Section Annual Conference.
- April 2014 and April 2013 – Legal Ethics in Public Utilities Matter at the NJ State Bar Association Public Utility Law Section Annual Conferences.
- October 2011 – Emerging Topics in NY PSC Energy Practice at New York State Bar Association Annual Institute on Public Utility Law.
- April 2010 – Chaired the First Public Utility Law Section Continuing Legal Education program by the NJ State Bar Association.
- April 2008 – Wireless and Wireline Attachments onto Utility Infrastructure at NJ State Bar Association Public Utility Law Section Conference.
- October 2007 – The Future of Universal Service (Telecom) at New York State Bar Association Annual Institute on Public Utility Law.
- October 2005 – Provider of Last Resort Responsibilities (Telecom) at New York State Bar Association Annual Institute on Public Utility Law.